L1 Intra-Company Transferee

You may be eligible for an L-1 visa for “intracompany transferees” if you are an executive, manager, or a worker with specialized knowledge who has worked abroad for a qualifying organization (including an affiliate, parent, subsidiary or branch of your foreign employer) for at least 1 year within the 3 years preceding the filing of your L-1 petition (or in some cases your admission to the United States).

The organization must seek to transfer you to the United States to work in one of the capacities listed above. Initial period of stay in the United States:

Up to 3 years (1 year for new office petitions).

Extensions possible in up to 2-year increments.

Maximum period of stay:

7 years for managers and executives (L-1A).

5 years for specialized knowledge workers (L-1B).

Executives and managers who qualify for L-1A status are also in a position to qualify for permanent residence under the employment-based first preference immigrant category.